Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

New 16" BA Hanson barrel 223 wylde cleaning question.

OK did the break in. How many rounds do y'all think before I clean the barrel? Shot hundred so far. Heard it isn't good to clean a new barrel to often is that correct?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Depends on who you talk to. There are so many answers to this question. All I can say is find what works for you and go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Depends on who you talk to. There are so many answers to this question. All I can say is find what works for you and go with it.

I'd have to agree with JeffreyDeGraff. As a rule of thumb I clean my guns after shooting, just how I was raised. I can't imagine cleaning a new barrel would hurt anything unless you're using a sandblaster... I've gotten away from using rods, I use bore snakes instead. Really like the ease of use!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySPowell View Post
    I'd have to agree with JeffreyDeGraff. As a rule of thumb I clean my guns after shooting, just how I was raised. I can't imagine cleaning a new barrel would hurt anything unless you're using a sandblaster... I've gotten away from using rods, I use bore snakes instead. Really like the ease of use!

Thanks I'll stick with my normal routine. Every range visit I clean it.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns4545 View Post
    Thanks I'll stick with my normal routine. Every range visit I clean it.

No problemo! [emoji106]

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySPowell View Post

Would like to hear your process of using the snakes.

Reason I ask is that I’d I use my snakes and make 1/2 dozen passes with it while at the range and then use my rod / jag combo it is pulling a lot more crud out of the barrel.

Tim

Title
    Premium Member
    Another thing I forgot to mention earlier. Some of my rifles require cleaning more often than others. Pay attention to when accuracy starts to drop off. That usually indicates that it needs to be cleaned. Ive got some rifles that accuracy stays consistent no matter how much I shoot. Some require cleaning after 20 or so shots. I’ve got one rifle that will group first three shots, off of a cold clean barrel, into .5-.75moa every time. Shots 4 and 5 open the group to 1.5moa. This rifle has a very rough bore and fouls quickly, so requires very regular cleaning.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Another thing I forgot to mention earlier. Some of my rifles require cleaning more often than others. Pay attention to when accuracy starts to drop off. That usually indicates that it needs to be cleaned. Ive got some rifles that accuracy stays consistent no matter how much I shoot. Some require cleaning after 20 or so shots. I’ve got one rifle that will group first three shots, off of a cold clean barrel, into .5-.75moa every time. Shots 4 and 5 open the group to 1.5moa. This rifle has a very rough bore and fouls quickly, so requires very regular cleaning.

I would venture to guess powder selection and charge will have an effect as well. Higher the charge = a better burn.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjb101 View Post
    Would like to hear your process of using the snakes.

Reason I ask is that I’d I use my snakes and make 1/2 dozen passes with it while at the range and then use my rod / jag combo it is pulling a lot more crud out of the barrel.

Tim
    The snakes I use you put your bore on the front end of the snake near the cleaning bristles and oil on the tail. I only pull it through 2 or 3 times and that's it. It's great for the range when I'm doing testing to clean between shots.

Title
    Premium Member
    I recently bought a BA barrel although not the Hanson profile in .223 Wylde. I clean every time I go to the range if I have time. I have tried waiting several hundred rounds and honestly can't tell a difference in accuracy. I just like my guns clean. I did buy a caliber specific bore guide for my AR and liked it enough I bought two more for other rifles. I had a one size fits all that I wasn't to impressed with. I also like the cable type bore snakes and I like Parker Hale jags if I am using a rod.